Thursday, May 5, 2011

Day 13 and 14 - let's get dirty

I know I am a bit late for this, but it is time to start gardening!  Last night I flipped the soil for the third time this Spring in my two little veggie plots and I think they are almost ready for some seeds.  As for planting thus far I have only had a chance to throw a few flower seeds on the front lawn beds.  Literally thrown as I like to garden like Mother Nature does, a combination of wind dispersal and randomization. Really it is just my creative way of landscaping with the help of my small children, but I like to think it is the 'natural' approach. 

Tonight I am working on planning the garden.  How can I maximize our soil to minimize our impact on the Earth?  When it comes to our food it is important to think about ways to alleviate the amount of miles Produce typically travels so we can have it available in our grocery stores.  Could you imagine what would happen if everyone grew three or four veggies in their garden during the Summer?  What impact would that have on eliminating the fuel used to transport our carrots, lettuce, tomatoes, peas and more from wherever it might be coming from? 

How about giving it a try?  Even a small window box or outside planter can grow a vegetable.  One less vegetable you are purchasing that might have been sprayed or might have used fuel to get to the store can make a small impact.  I have extra seeds if anyone is interested. I got a little overly excited when buying seeds this year.  Not sure how I will fit this all in:

Purple carrots, orange carrots, radishes, snap peas, piccolo zucchini, regular zucchini, edamame beans, lettuce, chives, spinach, tomatoes, corn, sunflowers, and quinoa.  Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment